Asphalt composition shingles are now recognized as the most economical, appealing, and fire-safe product for your roof, combining durability, longevity, value, and aesthetics.
Did you know that there are 18 different types of roof shingles you can choose from to have installed or replace on your home? Each type of shingle is of a different material, for example, asphalt, wood, or PVC; they each provide different benefits, varying costs, and come in different styles; each performs better in certain areas of the country to climate and construction restrictions.
So, if you’re considering replacing your roof or building a home in Southern California and can’t decide which roofing material would be best for your home, Noah’s Roofing, a leader in the roofing industry in Sacramento and surrounding areas, can help you narrow down your choices by discussing the best roofing materials for Southern California and surrounding areas. We have been replacing, installing, and servicing roofs in the Sacramento, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, and the following areas for over two decades:
- Elk Grove
- Cameron Park
- Fair Oaks, Davis
Did you also know that by updating your roof, not only can you transform its appearance, but you can also increase the value of your home?
Here we explain what Asphalt Composition Shingle Roofs are and why they are among the three top choices in Northern California.
The Advantages of Asphalt Products
The ease of installation and affordability are the two biggest reasons asphalt composition shingles continue to be one of the most requested roofing materials in and around the Sacramento area. The popularity of asphalt roofing products has not progressed by sheer chance; its proven product performance goes beyond providing a basic roof covering that protects you and your family from the elements.
The characteristics that have won asphalt roofing its reputation and popularity include:
Asphalt composition shingles provide homeowners many benefits
- Aesthetics and design flexibility—Asphalt composition shingles are available in a wide array of dimensional depths, shapes, and appealing colors that produce bold roof statements. The range of asphalt roofing products now available offers much greater flexibility than many other types of roofing material; the flexibility of asphalt composition shingles allows them to be fabricated in various architectural styles, making them much more affordable.
- Construction flexibility—shalt composition shingles’ composition material makes them flexible and adaptable to various roofing angles, shapes, and forms, providing a custom roofing solution.
- Damage Resistance—Asphalt composition shingles can be fabricated with a Class 4 impact and wind resistance rating—the highest rating possible.
- Durable lifespan: typically, asphalt composition shingles have a lifespan of approximately 25 years.
- External Noise Buffer: Asphalt composition shingles are highly effective at buffering external noise, providing you with a more effective sound barrier.
- Low Maintenance. When carefully chosen and properly installed, asphalt roofing products require minimal upkeep; they are easily repaired if damaged.
- Reinforcement—They can be strengthened by reinforcing them with fiberglass or organic materials without altering their appearance.
- Style Suitability. Asphalt roofing is compatible with most architectural styles, whether modern, contemporary, or traditional.
- Wide availability: these types of shingles are widely available throughout North America.
Asphalt composition shingles are constructed from multiple layers of materials to provide the most consistent roof coverage. These materials consist of:
- This layer is typically an organic felt orfiberglass mat, which supports the weather-resistant components of the shingle and provides strength.
- The middle layer—The organic felt is inundated with asphalt; fiberglass asphalt only requires a coating of asphalt, with no need to saturate.
- Top layer—opaque mineral granules that are ceramic-coated are then applied to the surface. This material makes the shingles more fire-resistant and protects against UV degradation. Asphalt roofing products are manufactured to
Categories of asphalt roofing shingle products
- Three-tab shingles or strip shingles—although 3-tab asphalt composition shingles are the most economical shingle to install, they are slighter than architectural or luxury singles and tend to show fatigue quicker than others. Because they are made up of 3 individual tabs that are 12″ wide, they are often referred to as a 3-tab shingle. 3-Tab shingles come with 20-25-30yr. warranties.
- Architectural or Dimensional shingles: Architectural shingles come with a minimum 30yr manufacture warranty; however, most architectural shingles now have lifetime warranties. Architectural shingles are more robust—two asphalt shingle strips are laminated together to form a single shingle originally intended to mimic wood shake shingles. The tabs have varying widths with slightly different shades of color to give a more dimensional appearance.
- Advantages to Architectural Shingles
- Greater curb appeal
- Higher wind resistance
- Longer manufacture warranties
- More durable and greater resistance to hail impacts
- Protection against black algae stains
- Luxury or premium shingles: Luxury shingles are high-end asphalt composition shingles and offer extraordinary protection against weathering. Luxury or premium shingles are larger than the other asphalt composition shingles and resemble slate. Luxury shingles mimic other roof types as well and provide a more distinctive look.
A newly shingled roof is a big investment; consider the cost of installation on the varying shingle types and the lifespan you can expect from each. Make sure your new roof will last for the period you plan to own your home.
Noah’s Roofing is a licensed, insured, and bonded contractor—we install, replace and repair roofs in the Sacramento, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, and surrounding areas. Many of our expert roofers are Certified Select Master Shingle Roofers with CertainTeed. Rated one of the top Sacramento asphalt roofing companies, your satisfaction with Noah’s Roofing is guaranteed. Our team takes great pride in the thousands of excellent roofing systems we’ve built over the years. Each of them is energy-efficient and designed to suit the specific needs of our clients. Because we deliver personalized services, we always meet the expectations.
Our professional roofing contractors can quickly address any of your roofing problems; we specialize in the following services:
- Leak Repairs
- Roof Repairs
- Roof Replacements
- Roof Ventilation
We also offer a 4-star warranty that comes with a limited transferable warranty.
- The manufacturer’s (product) warranty, which covers the product against defects in the materials
- The roofing contractor’s workmanship (installation) warranty, which covers workmanship errors by the installing roofing contractor
,Call us today at 916-704-2674 for a FREE estimate!